comments

Auburn kitchen fire injures one

By: Gus Thomson, Reporter/Columnist
-A +A

Gus Thomson/Auburn Journal

A firefighter exits the basement unit of a house where a kitchen fire was contained but one occupant was burned.

Auburn’s College Way was closed after a fire broke out this afternoon in the basement unit of a multi-family house, injuring one occupant.

The Auburn Fire Department responded to what was reported to be a kitchen fire in the lower unit of the house.

Acting Captain Erik Croft said light smoke was observed as firefighters arrived and the fire was put out within two minutes using water from a hand-operated extinguisher-can.

Three people were inside the house and exited safely, Croft said. One of the occupants was treated for a minor burn but declined further paramedic care, he said.

Damage was contained to an interior wall, cabinet and stove, Croft said.