comments

Four OD’s at Auburn park

Sheriff: Victims took what they thought was cocaine
By: Gus Thomson, Reporter/Columnist
-A +A

Four people overdosed at an Auburn Recreation District’s Regional Park in North Auburn on Wednesday.

According to the Placer County Sheriff’s Office, the four were transients who had been handed a “white powdery substance.”

They subsequently snorted the white powder after being told it was cocaine.

“Within minutes of ingesting the substance, all four transients passed out,” the Sheriff’s Office said.

Deputies who arrived on the scene of the emergency at about 6 p.m. found all four people unresponsive and administered Narcan - a product used to save lives during narcotics overdoses - before victims were taken to the hospital by ambulance.

The scene was “pretty chaotic,” Deputy Robert Bliss said, as ambulances converged on the park off Richardson Drive.

What exactly the substance was is still being determined, with a sample of the substance sent for lab tests with the state Department of Justice after local testing proved inconclusive.

“The case serves as a reminder that many illicit drugs can contain an unknown substance that could be fatal,” the Sheriff’s Office said in a news release.