Well here we are August has arrived and school starts in 11 days. What happened to the summer? Mothers are popping the cork and celebrating they get their weekday lives back. The non-stop job of cruise director is over. But now it is drop off, pick up kids from school, sports practice, and so many things to keep track of. Well, Friday is National Watermelon Day. We love everything melons. Today we picked 3 of my favorite watermelon recipes to push the box.
- 3 cups diced watermelon
- 1 ½ cups diced cucumber
- 1 bunch sliced green onions
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 seeded and minced jalapeno
- 2 limes, juiced
- ½ tablespoons Olive Oil
- Pinch salt
- Feta Cheese as needed
Toss watermelon, cucumber, green onion, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, olive oil and a pinch of salt. Serve on a bed of watercress and sprinkle with feta cheese. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with pepper.
Fish Tacos with Watermelon Salsa
- 4 cups diced seedless watermelon
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 2 limes, plus lime wedges for serving
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound skinless wild striped bass fillets
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 romaine lettuce heart, thinly sliced
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Make the watermelon salsa: Combine the watermelon, red onion, cilantro, lime juice and jalapeno in a bowl. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt and set aside.
- Preheat a grill to high. Sprinkle the fish on both sides with the chile powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt; drizzle both sides with the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil. Brush the grill with olive oil, then add the fish and grill until marked and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer the fish to a plate and break into bite-size pieces.
- Meanwhile, toss the lettuce with 2 tablespoons of the juices from the watermelon salsa and a pinch of salt. Warm the tortillas on the grill and fill with the fish, watermelon salsa, avocado and lettuce. Serve with lime wedges.
Summer Salad Kabobs
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups 1-inch watermelon cubes (about 1/4 of a 3-lb. watermelon)
- 8 ounces feta cheese, cubed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 36 (3-inch) wooden skewers
Gently toss together tomatoes and next 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Cover and chill 30 minutes to 1 hour. Thread 1 tomato piece, 1 watermelon cube, and 1 feta cube onto a skewer, and place in a serving bowl. Repeat with remaining skewers. Drizzle with remaining marinade, and serve immediately.