All those years ago ...
Public fallout shelter nears reality
A public fallout shelter for the Auburn area capable of housing in excess of 7,000 persons now and with a potential of 14,000 was closer to reality as a result of action taken by the Placer County Board of Supervisors Tuesday. The board approved an agreement with El Dorado County putting the mine under the jurisdiction of the Placer County Civil Defense program and CD Director Dean Pratt.
All that remains to be done now is for the El Dorado Board of Supervisors to approve the agreement and active preparation of the Diamond Springs Lime Company mine for use in case of an emergency can begin.
Tragic fire is fatal to Irene Cameron
A lethal fire which broke out in the Clipper Gap home of State Senator Ronald G. Cameron late Saturday night claimed the life of the senator’s wife, Irene, 43, and critically burned a daughter, Laurie, 8. Another daughter, Jane, 9, who suffered lung irritation from inhaling smoke, was released from Highland Hospital Sunday morning.
Fire is believed to have escaped from the living room fireplace after the family had retired Saturday night. Cameron was awakened when Laurie ran screaming to his bedroom shortly after 11 p.m., her nightclothes aflame. He quickly placed her under a shower in the master bedroom to extinguish the fire, then broke out a bedroom window to lower her to the ground.
Cameron then ran to the children’s bedroom area in the rear of the home where Mrs. Cameron had been sleeping with Jane who had been restless. Laurie had been in her own room. He stumbled over Jane’s prostrate form on the floor of her room and pushed her to safety through a bedroom window.
Cameron, nearly overcome by this time by smoke and fumes, attempted to locate Mrs. Cameron, who had not responded to his calls. He stated later that he could remember running frantically from place to place in the home when he heard plaster dropping from the ceiling, or other unusual noises. “I thought each time that it might be Irene,” he said.
When he was unable to find his wife in the smoke-filled house, he assumed that she had been forced out by the heat and flames. He rushed to a neighbor’s home to call the fire department and an ambulance.
When the fire, which gutted the $20,000 structure, had been brought under control by the Meadow Vista Volunteer Fire Department and California State Division of Forestry units from Auburn and Colfax, Mrs. Cameron’s body was found by Deputy Coroner Harry Sands, on the floor of the children’s bathroom.
Funeral services were conducted yesterday at Chapel of the Hills for Mrs. Cameron. Several prominent state officials attended, including Glenn Anderson, lieutenant governor; Alan Cranston, state controller; and several state senators and assemblymen. Also attending was Congressman Harold T. Johnson.
Grand jury report calls courthouse inadequate
The 1962 Placer County Grand Jury submitted its report, consisting of 31 typed pages, Friday, Dec. 7. The report held no bombshells or surprises but mainly dwelt on the well-known condition of the Placer County Courthouse, individual committee reports to the various departments of the county are summarized.
Courthouse and jail committee: George W. Peterkin, chairman.
10. Discontinuance of the use of custodian’s supply room for coffee and smoking breaks.
12. Proper storage and preservation of early day county records.
15. Preservation of the old courthouse as an historic site and, after renovation, retaining it for the exclusive use of the courts.
Loomis store burglarized twice, 7 are arrested
A strange twist of fate led to the detection and capture of seven persons in connection with two separate burglaries of Nelthorpe’s Store in Loomis last weekend.
A trail of blood led to the apprehension and eventually admission of guilt by a 19-year-old Loomis sailor on leave from the navy. The sailor, William Edward Kelley, in turn implicated two other adults and a juvenile in the burglary, which was reported Dec. 7. The others are Lyle Louis Moldenhauer, 18, and his sister, Alta Moldenhauer, 21, both of Loomis.
The twist of fate which led to their capture and the later arrest of three more was as follows: Lt. Jerry Rapisarda of the sheriff’s office was investigating the first burglary of the Nelthorpe Store when he discovered pools of blood on and around the premises and he surmised that whomever was hurt would have to seek medical attention. He first talked to local doctors and this led him to the Roseville Hospital where he discovered that William Edward Keeley had been treated for a deep cut on his ankle on the night of the burglary. When he first contacted the suspect, Keeley maintained he had cut his ankle running through a rock quarry but when taken to the quarry to show where it had happened he confessed that it occurred in Loomis when he stepped on a broken bottle in Nelthorpe’s.
‘Swag’ being sold by Sierra College club
Almost 100 Sierra College students will be trying to sell “swag” for a profit during the next few days.
“Swag” is the traditional name for pine cones and branch wreaths which make excellent mantle pieces and Christmas decorations. The swags include foot-long pine cones which have been glazed in an old steam sterilizer to give them a shiny surface and to prevent gummy stains.
WANTED, RIDE to Aerojet, 8-4:30 shift.
OPENING in car pool, downtown Sacto., 8 to 5, five days. Drive every fourth week.
~ Compiled by Anne Papineau