It’s a week of celebration for local theater companies, who learned that their members have been nominated for several theater awards.
Placer Community Theater and Take Note Troupe earned seven and eight nominations, respectively, for the Sacramento Area Regional Theatre Alliance Elly awards. Bear River High School garnered three nominations for its production of “Singin’ in the Rain.” More than 400 nominees from 244 shows produced by 78 theaters were announced during the Aug. 12 nomination party.
“I think it shows the viability of the program and the consistency of the program,” said LaRee Florence, artistic director of Take Note Troupe, a Loomis-based youth theater company. She added that the whole company, including the ensemble and crew, made “The Tempest” great.
“It really takes a whole group being focused, and I?was so grateful that they were all committed to it,” she said. “It was great.”
“In our 10-year history, PCT has never been nominated for any awards; this year we have six,” said Placer Community Theater board vice president Phil Jacques, in a media release. Jacques is also nominated for a supporting actor awrd for his work in “Rumors.” “Courage, determination, partnership and giving back to our community, in my opinion, has elevated us to a higher standard, a higher vision and greater results.”
The Elly awards are named for the late Eleanor McClatchy, a devoted patron of the arts and former publisher of the Sacramento Bee. The awards celebrate excellence and the outstanding achievements of community theaters and artists in the greater Sacramento area.
The Ellys were created 30 years ago by local community actors and have grown to include theaters within a 70-mile radius.
Elly awards will be presented at a youth ceremony at 7 p.m. Sept. 16 at Folsom High School, and an adult presentation at 7 p.m. Sept. 23 at the Crest Theatre in Sacramento. For information, visit www.sarta.com.
Take Note Troupe
“The Tempest”?(young people’s play)
• Overall production, young people’s play
• LaRee Florence, Hawk Florence, direction
• Truman Florence, leading actor, child
• Rachel Hodgson, leading actress, adult
• Shayne Simmons, leading actor, child
• Anna Solomon, leading actress, child
• Christian Burke, supporting actor, child
• Trent Allen, supporting actor, child
Placer Community Theater
• Overall production
• Kelly Thomasson, direction
• Connie Holt, Kelly Thomasson, Wayne Barrackman, Patti Baker, Yoka Koch, set design
• Philip Jacques, supporting actor
• Patti Baker, supporting actress
• Connie Holt, supporting actress
“Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat” (musical)
• Lyra Dominguez, leading actress
Bear River High School
“Singin’ in the Rain” (education – musical)
• Beddy Browning, Debbi Sampson, choreography
• Amy Linden, direction
• Aubrey Harwell, leading actor