comments

Fountain stood at center of courthouse intersection

A look back in time
By: Ralph Gibson, Placer County Museums
-A +A
The early Auburn photograph above was taken from the second floor balcony of the Courthouse. In the left center of the photograph is the Neff Fountain, which provided water for horses, people and dogs. The fountain was presented to Auburn in 1908 as a gift from the Honorable Jacob Neff, former Placer County Sheriff and Lt. Governor of California. It was moved from the middle of the street to the Courthouse property in 1976 when Auburn Folsom Road was extended into the intersection as part of the Auburn Dam project. The wagon on the left was the City Bus, operated by Walter Crosby and the wagon just to the right of the fountain was a Water Wagon, which was operated by Joe Hamilton. The Water Wagon was equipped with sprinklers which watered the streets to keep the dust down.