How to make sure DMV knows of new insurance

?Ask George? Expert Answers to Common DMV Questions
By: George Valverde ? Director, California Department of Motor Vehicles
-A +A
Do you have questions about general driving related requirements like registration and insurance? Are you unclear about laws and restrictions related to driving? The California Department of Motor Vehicles has answers. Save Time. Go Online at Q: I am currently working out of two company offices. One office is in Las Vegas, where I have my permanent residence, and the other office is in Los Angeles. I've decided that I need my car in Los Angles because I am anticipating working out of our LA office approximately 60% of the time in the months to come. Do I need to register this car in California? And is it required for me to obtain a California driver license? A: The determining issue is "Are you going to become a California resident?" There are two California Vehicle Code Sections regarding residency. · CVC Section 516: Driver License "Resident" means any person who manifests an intent to live or be located in this state on more than a temporary or transient basis. Presence in the state for six months or more in a 12-month period gives rise to a rebuttable presumption of residency. · CVC Section 6700: Vehicle Registration Except as provided in Section 6700.2, the owner of any vehicle of a type otherwise subject to registration under this code, other than a commercial vehicle registered in a foreign jurisdiction, may operate the vehicle in this state until gainful employment is accepted in this state or until residency is established in this state, whichever occurs first, if the vehicle displays valid license plates and has a valid registration issued to the owner, and the owner was a resident of that state at the time of issuance. Application to register the vehicle shall be made within 20 days after gainful employment is accepted in this state or residency is established in this state. You do have the option of registering the vehicle in both California and Nevada. Just indicate to the California DMV Technician that you want dual registration and will be retaining your Nevada license plates. If the vehicle is registered in the company name, it will be required to be registered within 20 days of entry into California. For more information regarding registration, visit Q: I recently switched insurance companies and some people have told me that when they switched insurance the new company did not inform DMV and their registration was pulled. How can I be sure they have reported my new policy? A: When you receive your insurance card from the new insurance company, verify that the Vehicle Identification Number shown on the card matches the Vehicle Identification Number shown on your vehicle registration card. If the numbers match, the notification of insurance coverage will be properly updated to the vehicle's record. If no new insurance information is received within 45 days of the old company's cancellation notice, you will be receive a notice that the department does not have electronic proof of insurance on your vehicle. The notice provides you with a time period to remedy the matter before any action is taken. For more information regarding your vehicle and car insurance, visit Q: I commute to downtown for work and there are always people crossing the streets at street corners where there are no crosswalks. Do pedestrians always have the right of way in this situation? A: That is a great question. Whether or not there is a crosswalk, pedestrians always have the right of way at intersections. A few things to remember: · Do not pass a car from behind that has stopped at a crosswalk. You might not be able to see a pedestrian crossing the street. · Never stop your vehicle in a crosswalk; you could place a pedestrian in danger. · Allow older pedestrians more time to cross the street. One in six traffic-related fatalities involve a pedestrian. So remember to always drive cautiously when near pedestrians. For more information on pedestrian safety, please visit The DMV is a department under the Business, Transportation and Housing Agency, which is under the direction of Acting Undersecretary Traci Stevens. The DMV licenses drivers, maintains driving records, registers and tracks official ownership of vehicles and vessels, investigates auto and identity-related fraud, and licenses car dealers, driving schools, and traffic violator schools. For more information about the DMV, visit