comments

Re-ignited fire destroys home in Auburn

Sunday blaze triggers Monday morning explosion
By: Loryll Nicolaisen, Journal staff writer
-A +A
An Auburn house fire believed to be contained Sunday evening re-ignited, causing an explosion, Monday morning. Cal Fire responded to a report of black smoke and an alarm sounding around 4:30 p.m. Sunday at the 4300 block of Michael Lane, off Highway 49 near Joeger Road, said Gina Chamberlin, Cal Fire public information officer. The fire burned under the floor, in the sub-floor, and crews were able to make access and extinguish the fire and monitor it, Chamberlin said. We did have units checking it throughout the night, Chamberlin said. Cal Fire and Auburn Fire Department units responded to the call of a fully involved residential structure fire around 5:30 a.m. Monday at the same residence. The fire was a complete loss, Chamberlin said. Nearby resident Joe McAllister said he was woken by a loud boom Monday morning, and said the homeowner told him he had three oxygen tanks in the house at the time of the fire. We drove by there this morning and it was just gutted, McAllister said. He was really blessed not to be home at the time of the fires. The fire is currently under investigation, Chamberlin said. We suspect it to be electrical, she said.