Transporting open alcohol containers

"Ask George? Expert Answers to Common DMV Questions
By: George Valverde ? Director, California Department of Motor Vehicles
-A +A
Do you have questions about general driving related requirements like registration and insurance? Are you unclear about laws and restrictions related to driving? The California Department of Motor Vehicles has answers. Save Time. Go Online at Q: My 15-year-old son loves to skateboard around the neighborhood, but I can never get him to wear a helmet. Is there a law that requires minors to wear a helmet skateboarding? A: While it is a safe practice for anyone to wear a helmet while riding a skateboard or a bike, according to vehicle code 21212 any person under 18 years of age shall not operate a bicycle, a non-motorized scooter or a skateboard, on any street or bike trail, unless that person is wearing a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet that meets the standards of either the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) or the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Also, the parent or legal guardian of the minor violating the helmet law will also be liable and fined $25.00 for the minor?s actions. For more information on the helmet law, visit Q: Is it legal to transport alcohol that has already been opened, but was then sealed and put in the trunk of my car? A: Thank you for thinking responsibly. Yes, that is the legal. Any container of liquor, beer or wine carried inside the vehicle must be full, sealed, and unopened. Otherwise, it must be in the trunk or in a place where passengers aren?t sitting and cannot be accessed from inside the vehicle. For more information about carrying alcohol in a vehicle, go online at Q: If after the death of a married person, would the surviving spouse automatically get the vehicle(s) or does it go to probate (in case there is no will) or is there a way to include such eventuality in the title? A: It all depends on how the vehicle/vessel is titled: · If the registered owner names are separated by the word ?or?, for example: John or Debbie Smith, this requires only one releasing signature by either party to transfer title if one of the spouses passes away. · If the title shows a slash mark (/) between names, both registered owner must release title to transfer. For example: John/Debbie Smith. If one of the spouses passes away, it will depend upon the size of an estate, if any, for documentation to transfer title into the surviving spouse?s name. If someone wants to change to ?or? between names, the title must be surrendered with appropriate signatures. There is no fee to make this change. · Individuals may place vehicles into their trust. For example: John Jones Family Trust, John or Mary Jones, Trustees. The trustee(s) of the estate may release the title to transfer ownership. The title must be surrendered with appropriate signatures and a fee of $15. For additional information, please contact DMV at 1-800-777-0133. The DMV is a department under the Business, Transportation and Housing Agency, which is under the direction of Acting Undersecretary Traci Stevens. The DMV licenses drivers, maintains driving records, registers and tracks official ownership of vehicles and vessels, investigates auto and identity-related fraud, and licenses car dealers, driving schools, and traffic violator schools. For more information about the DMV, visit