comments

Winter weather conditions expected Memorial Day weekend

Motorists advised to carry chains for Interstate 80, US 50
-A +A

The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) is advising motorists of winter weather with the potential for snow starting Friday.

This weekend, Caltrans is warning motorists traveling over the Interstate 80 and U.S. Highway 50 corridors that chain controls may be in effect due to ice and snow at the summits. Motorists should plan ahead for adverse driving conditions by packing provisions, ensuring the vehicle is in good working order with proper tire tread and to carry chains.

The National Weather Service is forecasting an 80 percent chance of snow on Friday and a 70 percent chance of snow on Friday night in the Donner area near Blue Canyon. The weather service is predicting a 30 percent chance of rain/snow on Saturday.

Travelers can check up-to-minute chain control information by clicking here, or typing www.dot.ca.gov/dist3/departments/mtce/chaincontrlmp.htm into their Web browser.

Most traffic interfering work will be suspended for the holiday weekend. However, motorists can expect all lanes on I-80 from Highway 20 to Cisco Grove to be narrowed to 11-feet. There are no scheduled lane restrictions on US 50.

In Auburn the National Weather Service is predicting a 50 percent chance of rain on Friday and a 30 percent chance of rain Friday night and partly sunny with a high of 69 degrees on Saturday.