Tuesday Jul 21 2009
Woman lucky to escape after home burns
By: Jenifer Gee Journal Staff Writer
Fire officials remind that smoke detectors can save lives
A Weimar woman was lucky to escape with her life and her dog after the modular home she was sleeping in caught fire Sunday night. The home, located at the end of Mason Road, was “pretty well involved” by the time Placer Hills fire crews arrived on scene at 11:44 p.m. Sunday, according to Chief Ian Gow. Gow said flames also burned about a ½ acre of vegetation surrounding the home. It took three Placer Hills engines, one Colfax City engine and two Cal Fire engines about 15 to 20 minutes to extinguish the fire, Gow said. An Auburn City engine was called to cover the area while crews battled the blaze. “We had a lot of help from our neighbors,” Gow said. Gow said the fire started in the rear right corner of the home near electrical wiring. He said the cause is presumed to be electrical and investigators do not suspect suspicious circumstances. Crews remained on scene until the early morning hours and returned later Monday when some of the home’s insulation briefly flared up again. “We were able to salvage some of the owner’s belongings but not much,” Gow said. “The home was a total loss.” Gow said it’s important for residents to make sure they have working smoke detectors in their homes. “Smoke detectors save lives and the soonest people can call 911 safely, the better,” Gow said. “You need to get yourself and family out first.” The Journal's Jenifer Gee can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or post a comment.