comments

Fire at Auburn business building

By: Gus Thomson, Reporter/Columnist
-A +A

UPDATE: 2 P.M. WEDNESDAY, JULY 25: RESTAURANT CLOSES AFTER ELECTRICAL FIRE

The smell of smoke from a fire in the Livingston Block — a commercial building containing offices, stores and an iconic Downtown Auburn restaurant — had firefighters on the move today as they attempted to keep any flames from spreading.

The Auburn Fire Department responded to an alarm at the 600-block High Street building in the morning and were continuing to work at 8:30 a.m. to ensure the fire was extinguished. About a dozen offices and businesses are located in the Livingston Block.   

While most businesses had yet to open when the alarm came in, the Edelweiss Restaurant, 627 High St., was evacuated and firefighters were seen going in and out of the eatery with breathing apparatus on. Firefighters also were on the second floor of the structure, which also smelled of smoke in the hallway, to search for potential spread of flames.

Leana Haddad of the Edelweiss posted on Facebook that a “small” electrical fire broke out in a restroom and that it went out on its own.

The restaurant was to be closed today and a Placer County Health Department inspection would determine when the restaurant would re-open, she said.

All other businesses are open, Haddad posted. The building is owned by Ethan Conrad Holdings.

ORIGINAL REPORT: The smell of smoke from a fire in the Livingston Block - a commercial building containing offices, stores and an iconic Downtown Auburn restaurant - had firefighters on the move today as they attempted to keep any flames from spreading.

The Auburn Fire Department responded to an alarm at the 600-block High Street building this morning and were continuing to work at 8:30 a.m. to ensure the fire was extinguished. About a dozen offices and businesses are located in the Livingston Block.   

While most businesses had yet to open, the Edelweiss Restaurant, 627 High St., was evacuated and firefighters were seen going in and out of the eatery with breathing apparatus on. Firefighters also were on the second floor of the structure, which also smelled of smoke in the hallway, to search for potential spread of flames.

The Journal will update this story as more information becomes available.