This month, focus on healthful eating and active lifestyles for children and families.
August is Kids Eat Right Month, an initiative sponsored by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and the Academy’s Foundation.
Here are some steps to get started:
- Shop smart: Get children involved in meal planning and selecting the food they will be eating.
- Cook healthy: Let children help prepare meals and snacks. Children can help set the table, mix ingredients together, or toss a salad.
- Eat right: Sit down as a family to enjoy a meal and share details about the day.
- Adopt healthy habits: Help kids form healthy habits by setting a good example. For instance, fill half the dinner plate with fruits and vegetables, and choose more whole grains instead of refined grains. For beverages, choose water over sugary drinks, and opt for low-fat or fat-free milk.
- Get moving: Encourage children to be active for 60 minutes a day to promote their physical, mental, social and emotional well-being.
For more information, visit KidsEatRight.org.
Children and adults participating in the UC CalFresh Nutrition Education Program are learning about healthy eating habits. For more nutrition or program information, call 530-889-7350 or visit our ucanr.edu/sites/letseathealthy, on Facebook at UC CalFresh Nutrition Education Program, Placer/Nevada counties.