Tuesday Jun 02 2009
Deputies find suspected meth at burnt Auburn home
By: Jenifer Gee Journal Staff Writer
Residents displaced after fire caused ‘substantial’ damage
Placer County Sheriff’s deputies found suspected methamphetamine at an Auburn home that partially burned last week and was featured on the front page of the Auburn Journal. In response to a report of trespassing, deputies arrived at the home, located on the 4000 block of Grass Valley Highway, at about 3:15 p.m. May 30, according to a recently released report. Deputies reportedly found several needles, drug paraphernalia and a bag of presumptive methamphetamine inside a small black shower bag at the residence. Authorities also located an Auburn man’s driver’s license inside the bag. The man’s last known address was listed as the home in which the suspected drugs were found. The man was not arrested, according to the report. The Journal is withholding the man’s name because no one was arrested as of press time. On May 27, a small garage in the back of the home caught fire after a spark from a metal grinder smoldered and later ignited the items in the backyard. The blaze destroyed the backyard and caused “substantial” damage to the home, causing its five residents to be displaced. One of the residents, Josh Hartmann, told the Journal that he shared the home with his girlfriend, another couple and one man. He said they initially tried to put out the fire with garden hoses. “It started getting way too hot,” Hartmann said Officials reported that abandoned vehicles, propane tanks, small engines, tires and more burned in a fire that took six engines and three water tenders to douse it. The Journal’s Jenifer Gee can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or post a comment.