Brent Smith, the chief executive officer of the non-profit Sierra Economic Development Corporation, is the inaugural recipient of the Placer County Economic Development Board’s lifetime achievement award.
Smith heads an agency that has provided economic development support for more than 40 years to local government agencies, offered small-business lending programs and provided training services to the business community.
Smith has been CEO for six years and an economic development specialist for more than 20 years.
“An award to this recipient is long overdue,” City of Auburn Vice Mayor Bridget Powers told the audience before she presented the award last Wednesday to Smith during the 22nd annual Placer County Economic Development Summit.
The summit in Roseville is sponsored by the Economic Development Board and organized by the county Office of Economic Development.
Joining Smith on the list of this year’s award winners were:
- The city of Auburn and Auburn Area Chamber of Commerce for organizing Auburn Industry 2012
- The Mountain Mandarin Festival in Auburn, for its support of agriculture
- Rocklin’s Icing on the Cupcake, the small-business award winner
- Jim Datzman, for taking the lead in organizing last year’s Lincoln Boulevard Celebration
- Dave Polivy, for strengthening community partnerships through organizations such as the North Tahoe Business Association
- Brendan Madigan of Alpenglow Sports in Tahoe City, for entrepreneurship and economic vitality
- Kelly and Mike Drust of Beermann’s Restaurant in Lincoln, recipients of the Private Sector Business of the Year award.