Gilson seeks new counsel

Foresthill woman’s sentence continued after guilty plea
By: Jenifer Gee Journal Staff Writer
-A +A
In an unexpected decision, a 21-year-old Foresthill woman asked that her sentence be continued so she could possibly seek a new attorney. Traci Nicole Gilson was scheduled to receive a four-year prison sentence Wednesday afternoon, but instead appeared to surprise her defense attorney, family and the prosecution when she asked to continue the sentencing. In March, Gilson pleaded guilty to one count of assault by means of force likely to cause great bodily injury. She also admitted to an allegation that she personally inflicted great bodily injury on a victim under circumstances involving domestic violence. The charges stem from a November 2008 incident in which she was accused of setting her boyfriend, Allan Lane Scott, on fire in Foresthill. “Ms. Gilson has requested the matter be continued for four weeks,” said John Richter, Gilson’s public defender. “She and her family are contacting private counsel to review the case and a possible motion to repeal the plea.” Prosecutor Joe McInerney stated he opposed the continuance and said he was ready to move forward with the sentencing hearing. He said he had not been informed of the continuance request until that afternoon. Richter said he also had not been told until Wednesday afternoon. Judge Jeffrey Penney asked McInerney if a continuance placed any prejudice on the people’s case. McInerney said no. With that, Penney continued the sentencing until May. Outside of the courtroom, Gilson’s father, Tom, said he was slightly surprised at her decision. He said his daughter had discussed the matter a little bit the night before. “Four years is a long time,” Tom Gilson said when asked why his daughter had changed her mind. He added that she also wanted to make sure she had a fair proceeding. Tom Gilson said Traci is holding up in jail. “She’s a little weak but maybe this will be a spot of sunshine for her,” Tom Gilson said. Scott’s parents were present in the courtroom but rushed out of the courthouse before they could be contacted for comment. Scott did not appear in the courtroom. In a prior Journal report, they stated that their son is still suffering from burn wounds on his hands and medical bills have climbed to $250,000. That figure has not been independently confirmed. Gilson remains in custody until her next court appearance. Her sentencing was rescheduled to 1:30 p.m. May 13 in Dept. 31 in the Bill Santucci Justice Center in Roseville. The Journal's Jenifer Gee can be reached at or post a comment.