Thursday Jul 09 2009
Lawn mower sparks two-acre fire
By: Jenifer Gee Journal Staff Writer
Officials warn not to use electrical equipment in heat of the day
A lawn mower caused a two-acre fire in an Auburn area pasture Thursday afternoon. Four fire engines and a hand crew were able to contain the afternoon blaze in about 15 minutes, according to Chelsea Fox, Cal Fire spokeswoman. The fire began at about 3 p.m. on Ayres Holmes Road at Wise Road in Auburn. No structures were damaged and no injuries reported, Fox said. Fox said investigators are determining whether the operator of the lawn mower will have to pay for suppression costs. “If someone starts a fire they could be held responsible for the suppression costs or the costs of the response,” Fox said. Fox said the fire is a warning to other homeowners as they maintain their yards during the hot summer months. “It’s unfortunate when people do this because they’re doing the right thing the wrong way,” Fox said. Homeowners are encouraged to do yard work that requires a gas or electrical motor before 10 a.m. when the temperatures are still low and humidity is high. Other tips include: - Don’t use equipment in the heat or on a windy day - Never use lawn mowers in dry vegetation - Use a weed trimmer to cut down dry grass and weeds - Remove rocks before using equipment. The spark between a rock and a metal blade is enough to start a fire For more information, visit fire.ca.gov. The Journal's Jenifer Gee can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or post a comment.