Wednesday May 09 2012
Parking lot blaze sparks quick action by Auburn firefighters
By: Gus Thomson
Auburn Fire Department firefighters have to work quickly with a saw to open a locked hood on this SUV after the engine caught fire in the Save Mart supermarket parking lot in Auburn on Wednesday evening. The fire was reported at about 7:55 p.m. with the four occupants safely out of the Toyota 4-Runner as the fire spread. Fire Capt. John Williamson said the latching cable burned, forcing firefighters to work quickly to saw a hole in the hood to allow water to flow in and put out the fire. While the engine sustained major damage, the fire did not spread to the rest of the vehicle, Williamson said. The driver said the vehicle was having a hard time starting before the fire broke out.